Wednesday 30 September 2015

Cheesy potato croquettes

I saw a version of this on Facebook this morning, had a look in the fridge and using what I have made them for dinner.


4 potatoes, 3 carrots and 1/4 of a swede, peel and cut into chunks.



Into salted water, bring to boil and simmer till soft, drain and mash.
Meanwhile take a smallish red onion, peel and dice, sweat in a pan with a good dollop of butter, when soft add 2 cloves of garlic sliced finely and cook on for 5 minutes or so, till it is all soft.


Drain the root veg and tip in the onion and garlic mix and the butter, mash well together, tip into a bowl and leave to cool.



Take a pack of soft cheese with herbs and garlic, or plain if that is what you have, tip into a bowl and add a good handful of grated cheese, I used a strong Welsh cheddar, and mix well together, put into fridge to chill.

When the potato mix is cold take a scoop and press out into a rough round on the palm of your hand, add a teaspoon or so of the cheese mix.



Use the spoon to spread almost covering the veg mix, then fold round to enclose the cheeses.


These do not have to be this shape, there is no reason they could not be round or egg shaped if you like.

 I made 6 and put them onto a plate and then into the fridge to firm up.


I decided to flour, egg wash and breadcrumb these to help hold the cheese inside.

Then into a hot oven for 20-25 minutes, you can spray with oil for a crisper finish, and serve.


They came out perfect for me, slightly browned and crisp but not hard.





Served with 2 poached eggs and a spoonful of baked beans, they hit the spot I did have a dollop of my tomato and chilli chutney with them.


This was very good, but i like to be totally lazy sometimes so the next time that I fancy this I will be potting half the veg mix in a pyrex dish, then spreading the cheese and then top with the rest of the veg mix and into the oven. I am sure that it will be equally as good.

                         TTFN                                            Pam



5 comments:

  1. That looks tasty. Another great recipe to try. I made the sausage balls and they were very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another simple tasty meal, I am loving your recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad they went down well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete