Saturday 3 October 2015

BOGOF

savoury and sweet, both part of dinner tonight.

Cheesy bites, lighter than cobbler and dumplings, to go with tonight's beef casserole.


200 gms SR flour.


1 tsp baking powder and mustard powder.
Shake of each of the rest.


Use a balloon whisk to mix and add around 70 gms margarine, rub in.


Throw in a good handful of grated cheese.


Add enough milk to make a soft but not sticky dough. Turn out onto a floured board or worktop.




No rolling, just press out gently with your fingers to a rough rectangle, cut into 8 and transfer to a lined tray.




Bake at 180c in a mini oven for around 20 minutes.
Put onto a wire cooling rack till cold. I keep these on the lining paper as they are soft. Once cold they peel of easily, I think that they will freeze well, I have never been able to hang on to them long enough to try.

Pudding


Weigh your eggs, 3 medium will make an 11" by 7" cake.


Put in a bowl with the same weight of soft margarine, soft light brown sugar and SR Flour plus an extra heaped tablespoonful and 
1 tsp baking powder.


Break in the eggs and a slurp of milk, about 2 tbsp.


I added 2 tsp mixed spice, you could use cinnamon or ginger or leave it out. Mix well with your favourite wooden spoon or use an electric hand mixer.


I added 200 gms of this fruit and nut mix, sultanas or mixed dried fruit work just as well.


Turn into a lined tin, scatter some flaked almonds over if you like, I did this time, and bake in a mini oven at 170c for 35 minutes.

I do most of my cooking in my mini oven as it saves money and means that I am not tempted to bake for the whole street.


My company enjoyed both, I served the pudding with fresh cream but it goes well with ice cream and custard. ( I do have guests that have all 3 )

                    TTFN                                              Pam

No comments:

Post a Comment