Wednesday 14 October 2015

Chick Pea and Veg Thai Red Curry

This is a "use it up" meal and the ingredients vary each time that I make it. This weeks recipe is....

Put a splash of oil in a large pan, add 2 sticks of celery, 1 red onion and a green pepper, diced, sweat for a few minutes.


Add about 12 button mushrooms, halved, 1 carrot diced and a few small potatoes, peeled and diced, stir and add,


1 tin chick peas, drained and rinsed and 4 lonely runner beans chopped.


I added a full jar of Red Thai Paste, I like it hot. Stir well


A tin of bamboo shoots and water chestnuts, I chopped each chestnut into 3 chunks.


Cut 1/3rd of a block of creamed coconut and dissolve in 400 ml hot water and stir into the mix.


Bring to simmer and cover, cook for 30 minutes or so until all veg is cooked.


There is enough here for 4 good servings, with rice or noodles. I will portion and freeze some once it is cold. If you like a milder curry use half the jar of paste and freeze the rest for another day. The coconut cream keeps well in the fridge, wrapped in film, and I use it in lots of dishes.

You do not have to use Thai, any curry paste will give you a good meal. Leave out the coconut and bamboo and water chestnuts,change the chick peas for kidney beans and use chilli powder and flakes. Forget the spices and use onion gravy and serve with Yorkshire Pudding or mash. It is a very adaptable meal.

                          TTFN                                      Pam

2 comments:

  1. That looks great (and I bet it tastes good too.) I must give this a whirl, though I need to add Red Thai paste and Coconut Cream to my shopping list on the back of the door (this is the one that often gets left behind!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep a jar of red curry paste in all the time and buy coconut cream when i see it. I now keep my shopping list on the fridge door.

    ReplyDelete