Wednesday 7 October 2015

Let Us Eat Cake.


This is the current version of Mum's Apple Cake, she put it on her blog a few weeks ago and I have made it at least twice a week since and altered it slightly each time.

The basic recipe is 
12oz SR Flour 
6oz butter, I use a soft margarine.
6oz Caster Sugar, I used soft light brown sugar (£1.39 per KG from Lidl)
2 eggs and a splash of milk. I buy medium eggs and use 3 plus some milk.
2 apples peeled, cored and diced.
I vary the amount of apple and add other things.
This time it was a handful of mixed dried fruit and a good spoonful of sunflower seeds, I used 2 small cooking apples and added a heaped tsp of ground cinnamon to the flour.




I had a stack of photos but the laptop chewed them up.

Put the flour, butter, sugar, eggs and a splash of milk into a medium bowl and mix well together with a wooden spoon. Add the apples and fruit and stir in, if it is a bit too dry just add some more milk. If by chance it is too runny Do Not Add Flour ( you will make it heavy) instead try a handful of dessicated coconut or a spoonful of ground almonds.

I usually make 2 x 1lb loaf cakes but today I made a tray bake. I have some Half British Standard tins, 10" by 8".
Salvaged from a school kitchen when it closed down.
I lined one with a reusable silicone sheet, this has been cut down to stick up an inch above the sides of my tin.
Spoon enough of the mix in to almost fill the tin, smooth out and scatter a few flaked almond on top.
Into my mini oven at 170c for 35 minutes.




The remainder of the mix went into a small pyrex dish, had a cover of cling film added and went in the microwave on high for 4 minutes.
Pudding for 2 or 3 for very little cost in money or time.


This will go to my friends across the road later on.

I have Ben to walk and a quilt on the table that I would like to spend a couple of hours with first.

                          TTFN                                     Pam



2 comments:

  1. very lucky friends I hope they appreciate your cooking and friendship :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the variation. I've made it with added cinnamon or a couple of teaspoons of mixed spice. I also vary the type of sugar and it turns out different every time from just the standard recipe. I have some more apples - I think another cake is about to be baked this week.
    xx

    ReplyDelete