Saturday 17 October 2015

Fish cakes without mash.

I was given a pack of frozen salmon steaks a couple of weeks  ago, my friend has bought them and decided that she could not be bothered to cook them. Woo Hoo. I had them in my freezer before you could say Jack Robinson, although I can not think why you would want to.

Yesterday I decided to use them, I was cooking for 4 and wanted something simple that I could prep in advance.
Fish cake and chips it was then.



Cook the steaks in milk and drain through a sieve, collect the milk in a bowl.


Once cold use the milk to make a thick white sauce.


I had 3 blocks of frozen spinach so thawed them, squeezed the excess water and chopped.




Stir the fish and spinach into the white sauce and spread in a dish, you want a layer around an inch deep, cool and chill for a couple of hours.


This amount will make 8 meals, so cut half the slab into 4 portions.



Dip each piece into seasoned plain flour, then beaten egg and finally breadcrumbs, repeat the egg and breadcrumbs and chill for an hour or till you are ready to cook.



Line a baking tray and spray with a little oil, put in the fish cakes and spray with oil.

Place in the middle of a hot oven 200c for 30 minutes, put a tray of home made chips on the top shelf and turn during cooking.

I served these with mushy peas and tartare sauce and they were very good and very filling.
The remainder of the mix is in the freezer in 4 portions and will make me some great fish pies.

I do make fish cakes with mashed potatoes but this time had milk and the heel of a loaf of bread that needed using.

I would not call this a cheap meal, salmon steaks are quite pricey but 3 of them will make 8 meals so not too expensive, and with my gifted fish these meals will be as cheap as the chips we had.
I used a plain flour roux to make the sauce as I intended to freeze part of it, this does not split when thawed out.

                 TTFN                                                      Pam

1 comment:

  1. That looks delicious. Just what I feel like eating. Pity as its nearly midnight here......

    ReplyDelete